Saturday, May 14, 2011
God, Love and Hope should be complimentary therapies to cancer!
So in continuation of this fight.... I have noticed something that some of the institutions that we are entrusting our family members, friends and loved ones to just might be missing. I believe it is an important part of the HEALING equation. The missing link is GOD, Love and Hope for the family and patients alike. In today's world of distance and self absorption there still are families that are close and have extended relationships. I come from an Italian American family and my Father comes and goes to his doctor's appointments with many members of the family each time. Yes there is an elected spokes person of sorts, that would be me because I am the nurse in the family, but that doesn't mean other members don't have valid opinions or see aspects of care that we health care professionals may be missing. Isn't that how it should be, if it can be? Seriously? When I was in nursing school family dynamics were a crucial and critical part of what we were taught. Family support could make or break the recovery of a patient. An active family would actually ease the burden of the health care team. What has changed? It seems that an active, interested and inquisitive caring extended family only strains some of the health care members. This is, of course, not the case in all health care institutions. But, so far in my experience in this fight with my family for my father's life, I have noticed that if only one or a few people do not truly care with their heart and give that love and hope it can have a very detrimental effect. It takes only one EGO to potentially set up for a negative spin on things. My family and many other's go into survival, hyper focused mode when faced with cancer. We and other's are fighting not only a diagnosis, but all the difficulties and challenges that go along with this disease. We and the patient NEED to be prepared for any and all the changes and challenges that are about to be presenting themselves. Who is preparing the patient and the family for these challenges? It seems our system is so over burdened that we are forgetting to stay connected and be proactive within certain health care crisis'. Have we become desensitized to the word cancer? It still has devastating effects on our people and planet. There are alot of fun fundraising events and support groups out there, BUT what is out there for the patient and the caregivers when they are right there in the trenches, when they are in that survival, hyper focused mode? You know who is suppose to be there? The PMD's, the Specialists and the nurses etc.. Love and Hope need to be complimentary therapies right next to how many years of expertise one has!! I mean what happens to those poor people who don't have a good support group or family with them? How are they able to process all this? Hmmmm? But as a dear friend of mine reminded me.... There is one name above all and that name is JESUS and all and everything including Cancer and Ego have to bow down to Him. I am writing this as part if my therapy, but I also know there are people out there who feel much like I do. I am being taught a grace in this struggle. God is opening my heart even more and more everyday to Love and Hope and to His Presence! I recognize those that have Him and those that don't. God can be glorified in all things.. He (GOD) and my family are standing strong and united in Faith.. Gloves are on and up!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment